Finiki is a fisherman’s coastal settlement located in the Southwest part of Karpathos and is actually a part of Arkasa village. Finiki offers a characteristic greek island blue and white colored homes reflecting in the crystal waters of the bay, narrow white streets, fishing boats, a golden sandy beach, and fish tavernas all under the shield of a beautiful church of Agios Nicolaos on the top hillside.
Until the early 1900’s Finiki was the main commercial port of Karpathos, almost all trade of Karpathos from abroad were reached through this small port. Mostly all the local residents until the late 1960’s were engaged with fishing or trade. Signs of this time are visible walking through the streets.
In the main square of FIniki you can visit the monument of "Immacolata" and the freedom fighters of this border island. Immacolata was a small fishing boat about 7,5 metres long, with a crew of 7 heroic men who sailed from Finiki to Alexandria of Egypt in 1945, in order to take the joyful news of freedom to the banished Greek government there. That was when the German occupation troops left the island and the residents arrested the Italian guard and declared liberation of the island on October 5th. The mission was achieved and the island was liberated for the first time after 5 centuries of foreign rule.
Finiki today is very well known for its fish tavernas and restaurants, taste the original fresh fish and seafood of the area and many other local Karpathian dishes. All types of accomadation are available here.